Monday, April 30, 2012

Racial Stratification and Education in the United States

Everyday we are ranked based on our income, neighborhood, gender, etc. but education plays the largest role on power and prestige. With that at hand, racial differences are just another problem within schools in the United States. In the article "Racial Stratification and Education in the United States: Why Inequality Persists" by John U. Ogbu, the author claims that Black Americans are still facing the issue of racial inequality, not only economically, but educationally as well.

I felt the article really stood out, Ogbu explains how many Black Americans are ranked low on education. The author lets us realize "segregation, unequal resources and rewards, perception and treatment of blacks in schools, and community forces" are ways that racial stratification affect black education, which lower ranks accordingly.

I work near a Middle School where, I believe is populated with mostly Black Americans and I could easily pick out those who are failing their classes. Not in a sense of judging individuals, but by the regulations NOT offered by the school. As opposed to schools in New Jersey, where I went to school, (which was filled with White Americans) where discipline and regulations stand out. I believe schools offer the confidence an individual should have to stay with their education. That's why, based on my personal experience, I've noticed most students near my job here in New York are not as disciplined as those who I graduated with in New Jersey.

2 comments:

  1. I liked the connections that you made with stratification and education in the united states. I think it is so important that education is a key in everyday society and in every society. Because of citizenship and residency I think it is becoming harder because there are not the same opportunities to get an education as there was in past decades. Not even talking about college education but even basic education or for those people that are english speakers or english as their second language to make the effort to learn english as they are trying to incorporate themselves more into the american lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what you say. I as well believe that everyone should be treated the same and not have such a bad inequality. I like how you made the connection with the middle school.because i believe when one looks down to the younger kids you can tell who will continue an educated life and then u can picture the drop outs.

    ReplyDelete